let us not worry about those who do not matter...

27
26

{Yay for my milky skin and peanut size! Rejoice!}

Personally speaking, high school was a very nice experience for the most part, which I realize is not the norm. However, I think it’s impossible not to fall prey to some nasty comments every now and then. Sadly, these comments happen at any age, at any given time, from any given people.

For me, the issue was always either about my skin tone or my height. Most of the time people commented without malice, but it always hurts when people badger you about your weaknesses. It even made me snap and try to change stuff, like fake tanning for no other reason than to stop those comments. But I didn’t – and still don’t – feel comfortable that way. Nothing other than accepting ourselves and being confident in our own skin will do the trick.

But… You know what? I’ve thought about this for a while and found that the reason why people actually target us is because they have the same insecurities within themselves, so they target us to maybe take the heat off themselves. For instance, I’m pale and my friend’s pale. But, since I’m pastier than her by a fraction of a thread, then she’s able to belong in the “tanned” group of people and mock me; the height thing as well. Makes sense? Those people all want to belong so desperately that they’ll use you, try to bring you down just so they can feel a bit better about themselves. But you know what that makes them? They’re desperate, ridiculous, pathetic. They’re not authentic, they’re insecure in their own skin so they want us to feel insecure too. That’s selfish. And guess what?

All this petty sh** really means nothing once you step back and see the bigger picture. There’s nothing more attractive to me than people who really don’t give a rat’s ass about people’s perceptions and judgments about them. There’s something about being comfortable in one’s skin that is so beautiful to me. We have to try our best to do what pleases us first and foremost. Surround yourself only with people who lift you higher. Positive energy only!

Yes, I’m pale. Do you think I should lay in the sun more, think I should bathe in fake tan, cake myself in makeup ten shades darker than my skin tone? Then, with all due respect, don’t let the door hit your bum on the way out. My life is mine to live. I don’t need your negative chatter in my life. Think I’m short? Well that’s because I’m in fact barely 5 feet tall. But do you see me criticizing you for being short, average height, tall? Oh, you don’t? Maybe because it’s none of my darn business anyway. See what I mean? Just say no to bullying. It’s really not that hard, is it?

Comments

back to top