My Christmas...

IMG_7012
...was happy! You know, it had been a while since I truly enjoyed Christmas. Somewhere along the way I lost my love for it, the child in me slowly died in that aspect and every Christmas seemed worse than the previous one to me. It never was about the presents either (total cliché, I know, but true), I guess I just didn't feel loved, or happy, or at peace. There was always something on the back of my mind: being sick, being overwhelmed, being sad. This year, I tried to let it all go, thought about everyone else instead of myself... and saw all of the spirit rush back like it used to.

...foi feliz! Para ser sincera, já há muito que não apreciava o Natal. Algures pelo caminho perdi o amor por tudo isto, a criança em mim foi morrendo e cada Natal que passava parecia pior que o anterior. Nada tinha a ver com os presentes (maior cliché da vida, mas completamente verdade), apenas não me sentia feliz, desejada ou em paz. Havia sempre algo que me levava ao fundo: sentir-me doente, cansada, stressada, triste. Tudo que não se quer no Natal. Pois bem, este ano decidi focar-me nos outros e não em mim nem na minha ansiedade... e senti o espírito voltar.

IMG_6937
IMG_6968

Little gestures brought my spirits back up this holiday season, some materialistic, some not: the day before Christmas, I went to change up my hair colour and give myself a new cut. I chose to cut off about a palm's worth of hair (see the before here) and dye it lighter! Whilst in the salon, my hairdresser was telling me how so very healthy and thick my hair is looking now, after having chunks of it fall off a year or so ago due to my illness. Unknowingly, that comment truly lifted my spirits and made me think about how many blessings in life we take for granted.

Pequenos gestos fizeram-me feliz nesta época, alguns materialisticos, outros não. No dia antes do Natal, quis mudar o meu cabelo: um novo corte e uma nova cor, mais leve e fresca. Optei por cortar quase um palmo de cabelo (vejam o antes aqui). Enquanto estava na cabeleireira, ela esteve a elogiar o meu cabelo e quão saudável, sedoso e forte estava, depois de grande parte dele me ter caído às manadas há um ano e pouco atrás por causa da minha doença. Sem saber, aquele comentário fez-me feliz e pensar quantas coisas boas tomamos como garantidas.

IMG_6976

I got this necklace from my mum (and dad) for Christmas. To some, it could just be another necklace, a nice piece of jewellery and a great Christmas present. But I know her choice wasn't random. That four-leaf clover represents all the luck she wants me to have in life, in health and otherwise. I can never thank her (and my dad) enough for all the love and support they constantly show me, through every trial and tribulation. I don't know if they'll ever read this, but I know they'd do anything and more for me and I am so thankful to both of you. I love you. 

Recebi este colar dos meus pais. Para alguns, é só mais um colar e um bom presente de Natal. Mas é mais do que isso e sei que a escolha dela não foi ao acaso... sim, porque é sempre a mãe que compra tudo, não é? Bom, o trevo de quatro folhas simboliza toda a sorte que querem para mim, no que toca à saúde e no resto. Vem aí um ano muito difícil e cheio de obstáculos, mas sei que estão sempre comigo durante todas as chuvas e tempestades. Nunca lhes posso agradecer o suficiente. Não sei se algum dia vão ler isto, mas só posso reiterar a sorte que tenho por vos ter. 

IMG_6878

There's a quote that never fails to comfort me: 'smile, you don't own all the problems in the world'. And we sure don't. There is always a way, we just have to believe that and pursue it. I'm a lucky, lucky girl to have what I do. I know all the burdens I bear are my own to carry for a reason, even if I don't know what that is yet. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas, my loves. x

Há uma frase que me traz sempre conforto: 'sorri, não tens todos os problemas do mundo'. E é verdade. Há sempre uma maneira, uma solução, uma alternativa. Basta acreditar. Tenho muita sorte por ter tudo que tenho, e sei que tudo que carrego às costas tem uma razão de ser... mesmo que ainda não saiba qual é. Espero que tenham tido um Natal maravilhoso, meus amores. x

Comments

back to top