How I Take and Edit My Blog and Instagram Photos



Photography has been a major part of my life for most of my teenage years. I've wanted a DSLR for as long as I can remember and I was over the moon when my parents got me my first ever 'big girl camera', a Canon 600D, back in 2012. I still shoot with it to this day and I feel like my photography game has improved massively since then. 

While before I used to be all about abstract and landscape photography (I felt like a total pro when I achieved that blurry background while photographing a rose in my garden, haha!), now I'm all about perfecting that gorgeous flatlay look and all sorts of beauty shots. I felt like it was time I shared all my tips and tricks on how I take my photos for the blog and for my Instagram, even though this is all old news to most people – let's give it a go anyway, shall we?! Oh, and a little heads up: this might be a bit of a long one, so either get comfy or save it for later with a cuppa and some chocolate at hand :).

A fotografia é uma das partes mais importantes da minha vida desde a minha adolescência. Sempre quis uma máquina DSLR e os meus pais surpreenderam-me com a minha primeira máquina de gente crescida, uma Canon 600D, em 2012. Ainda fotografo com ela hoje em dia e posso dizer que melhorei imenso desde aí!

Enquanto antes estava sempre mais virada para fotografar a natureza e cenas abstratas (quem se lembra de ficar mega orgulhosa depois de conseguir aquele fundo desfocado numa rosa de jardim?!), agora que o bichinho do flatlay e do mundo da beleza me mordeu, não quero outra coisa! Pensei que já estava mais do que na hora de partilhar convosco os meus truques e ideias no que toca a fotografia – já sei que é um tema muito batido, mas queria ter algo a dizer, está bom? Ah, e já agora, é um post bem longo, portanto ponham-se confortáveis ou guardem o post para mais logo, juntamente com um cházinho bem quente e um pedacinho (ou três) de chocolate :).


TOOLS

I shoot all of my photos with either my Canon 600D or my iPhone 6S. I love them both and I'll sometimes upload some iPhone snaps on the blog or some of my DSLR photos on Instagram. I firmly believe you don't need a DSLR to achieve beautiful photos (just look at Catherine, she takes all of her beautiful photos on her iPhone and they look beaut!), so there's no need to break the bank with a fancy camera just for the sake of it.

As far as lenses go, I used to use the standard 18-55mm lens that came with the camera, but it was very limited so I got the nifty 50mm 1.8 lens last year and I've never looked back! I'm thinking of purchasing the 50mm 1.4 this year, so if any of you have any thoughts on it, I'd love to hear them!

Uso sempre a minha Canon 600D e o meu iPhone 6s para tirar as fotografias do blog e do Instagram. E quem pensa que é preciso investir numa máquina XPTO para tirar fotos lindas desengane-se, porque basta imaginação e uma boa câmara digital ou de telemóvel para conseguir fotos top.

Quanto a lentes, usava sempre a 18-55mm que vem no kit da máquina, mas era bastante limitada. Foi por isso que decidi investir na de 50mm 1.8 no ano passado, um investimento do qual não me arrependo nem um bocadinho! Aliás, já estou a pensar em comprar a 50mm 1.4, portanto se alguém aí usar, é favor deixar opiniões e recomendações!


BACKGROUND

I personally have three backgrounds I like to shoot my pictures on: white wood, marble or a simple white IKEA desk. I DIY'd my own marble background here, but I felt it became way too overused and a blogger cliché pretty fast. Now I love to shoot my photos on my white wood board, which I also DIY'd (just bought a wood board from a hardware store and painted it white). Bottom line is, I love a good white background because it makes photos look instantly more light and airy, but also makes whatever you shoot just pop.

Pessoalmente uso sempre um destes três fundos: madeira branca, mármore ou um fundo branco de secretária. Fiz o meu próprio DIY de mármore aqui, mas começou a ficar super batido e cliché, portanto cada vez uso menos e menos. A minha obsessão tem sido esta placa de madeira branca que comprei no Leroy e que modifiquei à minha maneira – era madeira de pinho e pintei-a de branco, fica liiiinda no fundo das fotos! A realidade é que qualquer fundo branco serve, até mesmo um lençol, o que interessa é que confira luminosidade às fotos e que não distraia do sujeito que querem fotografar.


SET UP

Some people use soft boxes and the like when photographing, but I personally don't. I'm lucky enough to live in a place where there's a lot of natural light regardless of the season, so I usually just stand in front of a big window, place my wood/marble board on the floor or propped on a desk and snap away. For flatlay photography, I usually stand on top of a chair to get the perfect angle (I'm super short, okay?!). If you want a detailed insight on what props I use for my photography and flatlays, I've written a whole post on it here.

Há quem use caixas de luz para fotografar em dias mais cinzentos, mas pessoalmente nunca tive necessidade. Tenho a sorte de viver num sítio onde há quase sempre luz natural independentemente da estação do ano, portanto costumo colocar a minha tábua de madeira no chão ou em cima de uma secretária em frente a uma janela grande e é só fotografar! Se quero fotografar os meus flatlays, então subo a uma cadeira (sou baixinha, ok?!). Se quiserem ver um post detalhado sobre os adereços que uso quando fotografo, espreitem aqui


EDITING



Ah, the part everyone is always super intrigued about – myself included. Everyone's taste is different and everyone's perception of what their Instagram and blog vibe should be is as well, but I've always preferred a very girly and soft look to my photos and that's what I've been working on achieving.

As far as my blog photography goes, I edit all of my photos on Lightroom, using some premade presets and some of the VSCO desktop packs. My favourites include Fuji Astia 100F ++ and Kodak Portra 160 ++, all with my own tweaks. 

When it comes to my Instagram photos, I only use two apps: VSCO and Afterlight. I mainly use Afterlight for the exposure tool (it's the best I've ever found) and the overall tweaking of the photos, like rotating, sharpening, highlights and shadows, etc. Now, VSCO is the filter headquarters. I go through phases, but there's four filters I use and love: E5, A6, C2 and HB2. If you'd like to see a full separate and thorough post dedicated to how I edit my Instagram photos and how I plan my Instagram feed, do let me know – I'd be more than happy to put it together for you!

Ah, a parte que todos gostam. A verdade é que adoro saber os truques e os filtros que cada pessoa usa e como editam as suas fotos, mas o meu processo não é nada de especial. Cada pessoa tem um gosto diferente e o meu é mais virado para toques claros e mais femininos, com muito rosa e pastel.

Quanto às fotos do blog, normalmente edito-as sempre no Adobe Lightroom. Uso alguns filtros já pré-feitos do VSCO para computador e os meus favoritos são o Fuji Astia 100F ++ e o Kodak Portra 160 ++

No Instagram, uso apenas duas aplicações: VSCO e Afterlight. Uso o Afterlight principalmente para ajustar a luminosidade das fotos (a melhor app!) e para fazer edições básicas, como rotações, crops, afiar as fotos, etc. O VSCO, esse sim, é o rei dos filtros. Uso e abuso de vários, mas os meus quatro favoritos são o E5, A6, C2 e HB2. Se gostariam de ver um post detalhado sobre como edito as minhas fotos de Instagram, é só dizerem-me nos comentários!




That's it for now! If there's anything else you'd like to see covered or if you have any questions, please let me know down below!

E é tudo por agora! Se tiverem alguma questão ou algum tópico que me esqueci de abordar, é só deixar um comentário lá em baixo e eu respondo!

Comments

back to top