crohn's update

Hi you guys. Today I thought I'd write about my little ol' disease, writing an update of sorts (I know, who cares, but anyways, I need it today so bear with me) and see my progress, two years later. If you want to read my first in-depth post, click here

So! This is quite a break from the beauty, lifestyle and glamorous side of things, isn't it? Well, there's a less than glamorous side to it all, which is that of being a Crohn's patient - I don't like the word "sufferer", so yes, patient. It's quite the challenging thing, not gonna lie, even though the physical side of things has been treating me much better lately. It's the mental side of things that really eats you up sometimes, with this whole "chronic disease that means forever" type of thing to deal with when you're just a 20 year old trying to live your life normally.

Ora bem, hoje o tema é assim mais pesadito e chato, um bocado diferente daqueles tópicos de beleza e cenas assim. A verdade é que há sempre um lado menos bom na vida, menos colorido e feliz e interessante. O meu é ser doente de Crohn. É muito difícil, não posso mentir, apesar de ultimamente ter tido sorte no aspeto físico da coisa. Já o mental... Esse é que é difícil, principalmente para uma miúda de 20 anos que só quer viver a vidinha dela em paz e sossego, sem médicos e agulhas e preocupações destas. 

Anyway, enough babbling. Since my last update post - here - I've had a bit of a massive scare to deal with. Last September I started on my new medication, to hopefully get myself to a point where my disease is stable and under control, which hasn't happened yet. I was feeling quite optimistic, really, because 95% of people who are on this medication report back wonderfully. That 5%, though... Around late September I started feeling extremely ill. I mean, violently, I-can't-even-hold-myself-up kind of ill. I couldn't walk without feeling like my spine had concrete poured into it, couldn't eat at all without throwing up, couldn't sleep, couldn't function basically. I had to skip classes to lie in bed all day - literally, getting up was torture! - and I felt absolutely miserable. I went to the E.R. after what felt like a thousand iboprufens and paracetemols (in vain, of course) later, and they admitted me for acute pancreatitis. 

Desde o meu último post - aqui - tive um grande susto com que lidar. Em setembro passado iniciei uma nova medicação, para tentar manter a doença sob controlo, o que ainda não aconteceu. Estava bastante otimista até, tendo em conta que esta coisa da medicação tanto pode correr muito bem ou dar para o torto muiiiiiito agressivamente. O que aconteceu. Em fins de setembro comecei a sentir-me extremamente mal (sim, o muito já nem se adequa aqui). Não conseguia andar sem sentir que alguém tinha posto cimento na minha coluna, não conseguia comer sem vir tudo a fugir cá para fora, não conseguia dormir... Não conseguia viver, basicamente. Tive que parar de ir às aulas para ficar na cama o dia todo, até que fui até às urgências, depois de 1000 brufens e benurons. Quando lá cheguei, internaram-me com uma pancreatite aguda. Pimba, já foste.

Untitled-3

I was in the hospital for a full week - here - where I was put through hell with tests and needles (seriously, everyday one was jabbed in my stomach and one had to go almost straight to my heart) but I made it out of there alive. Sort of. Lost a whole lot of weight, dropped down to 44kg even. Even so, I was determined to buy myself a new phone right after leaving the hospital. Result: passed out on the sidewalk on my way out of the shop, hahaha! (Wasn't funny at all, but can only laugh now!) After that scare, everything calmed down, I returned to college, graduated and started my internship at a sports newspaper. Yay Fran! Conquering fear and adversities - check! =)

Estive no hospital durante uma semana - aqui - onde passei por quase tudo. Injeções a toda a hora (uma espetada na barriga todos os dias, fácil! E algumas em sítios lindos como perto do coração) mas consegui sair de lá viva! Fora de brincadeiras, só tenho que agradecer ao Hospital de Santo António, que me tratou impecavelmente bem. Ainda temos bons hospitais neste país de m*rda... Adiante. Perdi muiiiito peso (desci até aos 44kg, imaginem) mas ainda assim insisti em ir comprar o cartão para o meu telemóvel novo (prioridades!). Resultado: atirei-me para o meio do passeio, desmaiada. Hahaha. Depois do susto, consegui acabar a faculdade - nada fácil com doenças, digo-vos já! - e começar o estágio num jornal desportivo! Viva Fran, conquistar os medos e adversidades!

Untitled-2

These days I've been okay. Minus the extreme exhaustion, I think I'm pretty stable. Just have a little stomach bacteria to kill in the meantime, but other than that, I'm golden. Haha. Now seriously, the mental part is tough. It's really hard to come to terms with the fact this is something I'm stuck with forever. It sucks to have to have hospitals not very far away from you for the rest of your life. It's tough because it isn't fair. But it's life. It's something I have to come to terms with. I haven't yet, to be honest, no matter how positive and cheerful I may look to others. I'm working on it, though, so keep me in your prayers, will you? Thanks, guys 

Estes meses tenho estado bem, tirando o cansaço extremo. Tenho apenas uma bactéria no estômago para matar, mas de resto, tudo top. hahaha. Agora a sério, a parte mental é dura. É muito complicado ter que aceitar que isto é algo que me vai acompanhar para sempre. É difícil ter que andar sempre nos hospitais. É difícil porque não é justo. Mas é a vida, né? É algo com que tenho que me conformar. Ainda não cheguei aí, para ser sincera, independentemente de quão positiva e conformada possa parecer. Mas estou a tentar, por isso rezem uma oraçãozinha por mim... 

Comments

back to top