My Favourite Self Tan

IMG_4625  
I'd like to think I'm no stranger to self tan, good or bad. I've had my fair share of mishaps and streaky orange limbs, but I've learned a thing or two along the way and have perfected my tanning routine – streak and Cheeto free. 

Firstly, I figured out what works for me: I favour mousses instead of lotions, because they dry quicker and allow me to get back to my life in 60 seconds or less (I don't deal well with looking like a statue just so that the lotions can sink into my skin). After I decided that mousses were the way to go, I also decided to invest in higher quality brands that make the world of a difference in terms of lasting power and overall result. The two I swear by are Vita Liberata and St. Tropez, but St. Tropez is my favourite! Let's divide this into sections. 

Gosto de pensar que sei uma coisa ou outra sobre autobronzeadores. Já tive a minha dose de erros e manchas laranja na pele, mas aprendi com os meus erros e consegui aperfeiçoar a minha rotina de bronzear – sem manchas ou pele de Cheeto. 

Primeiro, descobri o que resulta melhor comigo: prefiro mousses em vez de loções, porque secam mais rápido e deixam-me ir à minha vida em 60 segundos ou menos (não lido bem com o look 'estátua' enquanto espero que o creme seque). Depois, decidi investir em marcas mais caras e de qualidade, sendo que o meu top é Vita Liberata e St. Tropez, mas esta última é a minha favorita! Vamos por partes.
  IMG_4629  
Colour 

My biggest worry with fake tans is having them look orange. It's the biggest telltale sign and something that looks awful, let's be honest. That's why I tend to go for fake tans that are green/olive and even grayish (Vita Liberata) in colour, because those are the ones who will give you the best result – a golden tan, opposed to a Cheeto tan. Get it? ;). 

The St. Tropez tan has a bit of a green-ish tint, like baby vomit, but the guide colour is awesome and you get an instant tan when applying, even though it'll mostly wash off after you shower so no need to worry. 

O meu maior medo com autobronzeadores é que fiquem laranja. Percebe-se logo que não é natural e fica terrível, sejamos honestas. É por isso que procuro sempre autobronzeadores com uma cor mais esverdeada ou até mesmo acinzentada, porque é assim que ficamos douradinhas, em vez de Cheeto girls. A cor da mousse é mais esverdeada, dando uma cor logo instantânea. 

Smell 

The St. Tropez self tan actually smells nice! It has a fresh scent to it that is very pleasant. It lingers only when you apply it and, since I go to bed straightly after, I really don't notice it at all. 

O autobronzeador St. Tropez tem um cheiro muito bom. É muito fresco e agradável, para além de que não é incomodativo e desaparece bastante rápido... se bem que eu vou para a cama logo depois de aplicar o autobronzeador, por isso nem sequer o chego a sentir. 

Intensity 

You won't get a dark, I-was-in-the-Bahamas-for-a-month kind of tan after only one application, but you'll definitely get a nice glow. For the best results, apply it three days in a row – sometimes I'll do only two if I don't want a very intense tan – to properly see how beautiful this is on the skin. 

Não vão ficar logo com um bronze de deusa praticamente preta depois de apenas uma aplicação, mas só uma basta para ficar logo com uma corzinha agradável e saudável. Para melhores resultados, recomendo usar três dias seguidos – às vezes ponho só dois, se não quiser nada muito intenso – e verão como a pele fica logo bonita, hidratada e com uma cor invejável.

Tips

I have a few tips for applying self tan that I've picked up over the years. Firstly, always use a mitt! I can't stress this enough. Don't try to apply self tan with your hands, unless it's a very faint lotion to give a slight hint of colour, otherwise your hands will look absolutely awful. Secondly, straight after applying the mousse, apply moisturiser to your elbows, knees, ankles and feet because those are the driest areas of your body and will soak up a LOT of the product - too much! Thirdly, let the mousse dry for five minutes before lying down. Even though they say it dries in 60 seconds, I don't like to take chances and I'm not keen on streaks or patches, haha. 

Tenho alguns conselhos para vocês que fui aprendendo ao longo dos anos. Primeiro, usem sempre uma luva para aplicar o autobronzeador! Sempre. Não posso recomendar-vos isto o suficiente! Não tentem aplicar a mousse com as mãos; aliás, usem só as mãos se for para aplicar cremes muiiiito clarinhos e que não manchem, porque as mãos ficam horríveis depois. Segundo, logo após aplicarem a mousse, apliquem um creme hidratante nos cotovelos, joelhos, tornozelos e pés porque são essas as zonas mais secas do corpo e apanham a cor TODA - demasiado, e fica laranja. Terceiro, deixem a mousse secar durante cinco minutos antes de se deitarem. A marca diz que só precisam de 60 segundos, mas não quero arriscar e ficar com manchas e espaços brancos, haha.

IMG_4609 IMG_4541  
White nail season and the colour after two applications! I bought this from Primor and it cost me 25€, which is MUCH cheaper than Vita Liberata. 

A época da unha branca e a cor depois de duas aplicações! Comprei a mousse na Primor e custou-me 25€, muito mais barato do que a Vita Liberata.

Comments

back to top