My Experience With Lash Extensions



After months of thinking and talking about it, I finally went and got my eyelash extensions! My lashes... Well, my lashes are short and stumpy little devils, which stubbornly face downwards no matter how much I curl and coat them in mascara. Naturally, I was super excited when the opportunity arose for me to get them done! But before we get into that, there's another process I want to tell you about...

A month prior to the extensions, my beautician suggested I tried a lash lift, which is basically a perm for your eyelashes but obviously less harsh than the whole extension process. She basically 'glues' your eyelashes to a tiny silicone pad to really curl and lift them, then she finishes it all off by tinting them. It doesn't sound like much, but the results are INCREDIBLE – there are no fake and fluttery lashes involved, but the lashes you do have are curled and perky, giving the illusion of fuller lashes and a more awake look. I was blown away by the results when I looked in the mirror! With the lift, you can use mascara and cleanse as normal, and the results lasted for up to a month and a half on me. 

When the results started to wear off, I finally booked my eyelash extensions. Now, let me preface this by saying I have never really worn false lashes before nor am I a fan of them, so I really had no idea what to expect. To make you really get a feel of what having extensions is like, here are some of the things I learned after the whole process...

Depois de meses a falar no assunto, finalmente fiz a minha extensão de pestanas! As minhas pestanas naturais são super pequenas e chatas, estão sempre viradas para baixo independentemente da quantidade de máscara que lhes ponha. Portanto, fiquei super entusiasmada quando tive a oportunidade de fazer a extensão! Mas antes de vos falar do processo, quero dar-vos a conhecer outro do qual fiquei fã...

Um mês antes de fazer a extensão, a minha esteticista sugeriu que experimentasse uma ondulação de pestanas, que é basicamente uma permanente para as pestanas. Basicamente as vossas pestanas ficam coladas a umas tiras de silicone durante mais ou menos uma hora para ficarem bem curvadinhas e arrebitadas. Para terminar, ela tinge-as de preto para ficarem ainda mais pronunciadas. Não é tão procurada como a extensão, mas os resultados são INCRÍVEIS – as pestanas ficam encaracoladas e com a ilusão de um olhar mais aberto e cheio! Fiquei apaixonada quando as vi. Aqui podem usar máscara e óleos para remover a maquilhagem, sendo que os resultados duraram-me mês e meio.

Quando os resultados começaram a desaparecer, optei por experimentar a extensão. Antes de mais tenho de vos dizer que nunca usei pestana falsa (e nem quero), portanto não sabia o que esperar. Para vos ajudar a compreender o processo, aqui fica uma lista de coisas que aprendi com a minha experiência...




1. The application process can actually hurt – My eyelash extensions took me an hour and a half, but the whole process was super calm as it's just you and your beautician (I almost dozed off on the massage chair!)... until the very last bit. Because she uses glue to glue the lashes onto your own, some of it can make your eyes glue together. Mine did a little and I teared the hell up when she tried to peel it off! It hurt like a b*tch, I'm not gonna lie, but that's as far as the pain went.

2. You might not like them at first – I'll be honest, I did not like them when I first saw them! If you're someone who's used to wearing false lashes then you'll be totally fine but I have NEVER had long lashes in my life. All I could think about was, 'oh my God, everyone is gonna be able to tell I have fake lashes on! I'm gonna look like a fake ho!'. Yes, I did panic a little, I'll admit... She sensed that and asked me if I was happy with them (I really can't hide my emotions, my face gives me away immediately!). After she trimmed them a bit, I went on my way. Newsflash: they only look shocking to you. I asked a lot of people for opinions and EVERYONE said they looked absolutely natural, showered me with compliments and told me that I should do that on the regular – just shows you how critical and insecure we can be of ourselves sometimes!

3. They're stiff – Again, I probably sound ridiculous, but I didn't expect them to be stiff! In my naiveness, I thought the lashes would feel as light and fluttery as my own real lashes do, but nope. They're really good quality, but it still feels weird. I can't really feel them now that they're on, but it does bother me at night when they scrape on my pillow (I sleep on my side) or when I'm doing basic things like putting my clothes on and washing my face.

4. DO. NOT. PULL. THEM. OUT. – Yes, caps necessary. If you pull out your fake lash, you'll be pulling out your real lashes underneath because they glue the lash on top of your natural ones. Do you want that? No, you do not. If you're not happy with the results, simply return to the salon as they have a specific cream to dissolve the glue and take the extensions off. Either way, they'll fall out eventually.

1. A aplicação pode doer – O processo demorou cerca de hora e meia e foi bastante tranquilo (quase que adormeci na cadeira de massagens)... até aos últimos minutos. Como ela usa cola para colar a pestana à raíz, os vossos olhos podem colar. Como devem imaginar, o processo de descolagem não é de todo agradável – confesso que lacrimejei bastante – e foi mesmo a parte mais chata de tudo.

2. Podem não gostar dos resultados ao início – Quando ela acabou e me chegou o espelho, odiei-as! Achei que ficaram super falsas e too much, se calhar porque nunca usei pestana falsa. Ela percebeu o meu pânico e sugeriu cortar um pouco a pestana, o que ajudou. Ainda assim, só conseguia pensar que toda a gente ia notar que estava a usar pestana falsa e entrei um pouco em pânico, confesso. No entanto, elas só nos parecem loucamente diferentes a nós, que nos olhamos ao espelho todos os dias. Toda a gente a quem perguntei ou nem notou (sim, pai) ou as elogiou, dizendo que estavam super naturais e que me ficam super bem! It's all in our heads sometimes, isn't it?

3. São duras – Se calhar fui ingénua, mas pensava que iam ser mesmo como as nossas pestanas naturais, fofinhas e macias. Não, nada disso, são duras e chateiam quando se quer dormir (durmo de lado) ou vestir camisolas, porque 'raspam' em tudo. Lavar a cara e tirar as lentes de contacto também é uma chatice, diria que é o meu maior 'contra' nisto tudo.

4. NÃO. AS. ARRANQUEM. – A sério, não façam isso, a não ser que queiram arrastar as vossas pestanas naturais atrás. As pestanas ficam coladas nas nossas próprias pestanas, portanto se não gostarem do resultado basta dirigirem-se ao vosso salão, uma vez que a esteticista tem um creme próprio para desfazer a cola e retirar as pestanas.


As far as pros and cons go, the biggest pro would have to be the fact it completely changes your eyes. You go from having non-existent lashes that make your eyes appear small to having fluttery, big lashes that completely open them up! Of course having extensions also negates the need to wear mascara et al, which is also a massive time saver.  

For cons, the first would obviously have to be the price. It's not cheap to get them done, but maintenance is cheaper afterwards. You also need to be careful when removing makeup, especially if you're an oil lover like myself – no oils allowed near the lashes! 

Quanto aos pros e contras, a principal vantagem é o facto de as pestanas abrirem completamente o olhar. Já me habituei a elas e agora acho-as lindas, mudam completamente qualquer look em menos de nada. E é claro, as extensões dispensam a necessidade de usar rímel, o que é ótimo.

Nos contras, o primeiro tem mesmo de ser o preço. Não são nada baratas, mas depois a manutenção é mais em conta. Também é preciso ter cuidado ao remover a maquilhagem, evitar totalmente o uso de óleos (que eu adoro) porque fazem com que as pestanas descolem. 

Comments

back to top